Sunday 7 October 2012

Cosmic - Frank Cottrell Boyce

Title: Cosmic

Author: Frank Cottrell Boyce

Genre: Children’s/ Contemporary (with a bit of sci-fi, as it is about space)

Publisher: Macmillan
Publication date: July 2008 (First edition)
Paperback: 256 pages

Series?: Stand alone

How did I get this book: I borrowed it from the school library.


Why I read this book: It looked like a really interesting plot, and it really stood out to me on the shelf. I have read Millions (also by Frank Cottrell Boyce) and I really enjoyed that, so I decided to give this a go to.

Blurb:
Liam is too big for his boots. And his football strip. And his school blazer. But being super-sized height-wise has its advantages: he's the only eleven-year-old to ever ride the G-force defying Cosmic roller coaster -- or be offered the chance to drive a Porsche. Long-legged Liam makes a giant leap for boy-kind by competing with a group of adults for the chance to go into space. Is Liam the best boy for the job? Sometimes being big isn't all about being a grown-up.

Review:
  • I have just finished reading this book and I think it is absolutely superb.
  • It is both funny and moving, and Frank Cottrell Boyce writes this book with a great care and accuracy to detail.
  • Although the plot of the story sounds unbelievable, as you read it you find yourself believing that all of this could happen. The power of words and a good story in this book is immense, and makes the book all the more readable.
  • There are great characters in the book, including those you come to love, and those you come to hate.
  • I am 14, and I was worried I may be too old for this book; however, I was proved wrong.
  • This is a page-turning tale and I highly recommend it to anyone 14 and under.

Awards: Carnegie medal winner



No comments:

Post a Comment